Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Review of Hope in the Holler by Lisa Lewis Tyre

Hope in the Holler
By Lisa Lewis Tyre
Published by Nancy Paulsen Books
January 9, 2018
ARC Obtained from NCTE 2017

Goodreads Summary:
Right before Wavie's mother died, she gave Wavie a list of instructions to help her find her way in life, including this one: Be brave, Wavie B! You got as much right to a good life as anybody, so find it! But little did Wavie's mom know that events would conspire to bring Wavie back to Conley Hollow, the Appalachian hometown her mother tried to leave behind. Now Wavie's back in the Holler--and in the clutches of her Aunt Samantha Rose. Life with the devilish Samantha Rose and her revolting cousin Hoyt is no picnic, but there's real pleasure in sleeping in her own mother's old bed, and making friends with the funny, easygoing kids her aunt calls the "neighborhood-no-accounts." With their help, Wavie just might be able to prevent her aunt from becoming her legal guardian, and find her courage and place in the world. 

My Thoughts:
I have had this one since NCTE back in November, but every time I picked it up to read it, I ended up putting it back on the shelf and picking something else. This is because the blurb made the book sound so sad (the main character's mother dies) and I was never up for tackling it. I recently had a few social media friends who read it and raved about it, so yesterday I decided to give it a go, tissues at the ready. Turns out I didn't need the tissues and I definitely should have read this one as soon as I got home from NCTE! This was one of those "cant put it down" books! I started it late morning and was finished by early afternoon. I really loved the main character Wavie and the friends that she made in the holler. This is such a great book about staying strong, about fighting for what you want, and about the fact that everyone deserves a future, that everyone is worth it!
If you don't have a copy yet, go pick one up today!
I would recommend this book for grades 4 and up!

No comments:

Post a Comment