Monday, January 8, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? January 8, 2018


A great meme hosted by Jen at Teacher Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers! A place for people to talk about books they have recently read and are currently reading. Also a great place to find books to add to your "must read" list!

I haven't posted since before the holidays, so here is a list of all the books I have read since my last post (click on the title to learn more about the book):
By Cassie Beasley
I really enjoyed Circus Mirandus, so I wasn't surprised when I also really enjoyed Tumble and Blue! I liked the two main characters, Tumble and Blue, and enjoyed the fantasy elements woven throughout the book.

By Kate Messner
I was excited to get my hands on an ARC of Kate Messner's newest MG novel. I loved the way this one was written, with a bunch of different types of writing. A few of them being letters, graphic novel-esque pictures, texts, announcements, etc. The story itself is also a great one. As always, Kate Messner does a great job of tackling tough subjects in an age appropriate way.

By Elly Swartz
Like Cassie Beasley, Elly Swartz is another author where I enjoyed their second book as much as, if not more then, their first! I enjoyed reading Finding Perfect and knew I was going to enjoy Smart Cookie. I wasn't disappointed! Elly Swartz is another author who tackles serious topics in a way that kids can understand them. This one is on my classroom shelf right beside Finding Perfect!

By Liesl Shurtliff
Another series of books that I LOVE! I remember being so excited to get my hands on an ARC of Red at NCTE 2016. It kept me company on a long, delayed flight home! I was equally as excited to get an ARC of Grump at NCTE this past November. Again, I started it on my flight home, which thankfully was not delayed this time. It didn't take me long to finish this one, as it was equally as entertaining as the other books by Shurtliff!

 By Sayantani Dasgupta
I was happily surprised to find an ARC of this one in my December Scholastic book box! I enjoyed this adventurous fantasy story and appreciated the diverse main characters.

By Ilyasah Shabazz
With Renee Watson
After the fantasy of Serpent's Shadow, I really enjoyed this historical fiction story about the young Dr. Betty Shabazz, the wife of Malcolm X. I didn't know much about Betty Shabazz before reading this book, therefore I was fascinated by the story of her young life. It is not surprising that she became such an amazingly strong adult!

By Gordon Korman
I had been hearing a lot about Gordon Korman's newest book, Restart, so I snuck it off my classroom shelf to read it! Of course it only took one day for my students to notice that it was missing. It is a good thing the book sucked me in the way it did because I finished it in two days and got it right back on the shelf. I really liked the premise of this book and think it teaches some really good lessons about what type of person you want to be.

Here is what I am currently reading (click on the title to learn more about the book): 
By Erin Entrada Kelly
Another one I was lucky enough to get at NCTE and that I have been starting to hear some buzz about. I only started it a few days ago, but I am already enjoying. It's another one of those books that I think will tackle some tough topics in an age appropriate way.

By Natalie Lloyd
I have been a fan of Natalie Lloyd since A Snicker of Magic. I am only on page 2 of this one, but I have high hopes! 

Edited by Colby Sharp
This project was such a brilliant idea! Kudos to Colby Sharp for coming up with this crazy idea and for putting it all together into an amazing collection of stories! I started reading this one, along with Grump, on the way home from NCTE. I am amazed that the same book can have me laughing out loud one minute, crying the next, and then on the next turn of the page have goosebumps rising up my arm and the hairs on the back on my neck standing straight up. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment