Monday, January 15, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? January 15, 2018


A great meme hosted by Jen at tech Mento Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers! A place for people to talk about books they have recently read and are currently reading. Also a great place to find books to add to your "must read" list!

Here is what I have recently read (click on the title to learn more about the book):
By Matt de la Peña and Loren Long
This has definitely been the book of the week! I have been aware of this book for quite some time, but I have seen it everywhere this week; on blogs, on twitter, in the bookstore. I was really sad that I missed Matt signing this one at NCTE, but my flight left before his signing on Sunday. I tried to find someone that was willing to stand in line for me, but to no avail. All that being said, I was so excited to finally get my hands on a copy when it come out this past Tuesday! This book is as gorgeous as I heard it was and I really wish that I knew someone who was starting a new phase in their life, new job, graduation, etc whom I could buy a copy for! This book may become the new Oh, The Places You Will Go! book for me! If you haven't seen it yet, go out and find a copy!

By Tony DiTerlizzi
Because I am in charge of my schools One School, One Book "project" every year, I keep an ongoing list of possible titles that would be appropriate for K-5. This year, I was tasked with picking next years book way earlier then I normally do, so I started furiously reading a few of the titles on the list. This was one of them! Of course I know Tony DiTerlizzi, I enjoyed the Spiderwick Chronicles and really enjoyed the WondLa trilogy, but I had never gotten around to reading this one. I am happy that it ended up on my list because it is such an adorable story! I think it is a great choice for K-5 because the younger kids will enjoy the "cuteness" of it with the animal characters and the older grades will enjoy it because it is also a great story about friendship and about not judging someone by the way they look. I have a few more to read before I make my final decision, but this one will definitely be a contender!

By Nikki Grimes and Raúl Colón
Unfortunately this one I read for sadder reasons. I have a former student who recently lost her younger brother to an ongoing illness. In the fall we were informed that her brother wasn't doing well and probably didn't have much longer. Of course, being the person I am, I immediately went on a search for a book that I could send her that might help, even the littlest bit. Nothing jumped out at me until I heard Nikki Grimes speak at NCTE. She was talking about some of the children's books she has written that tackle the tough subjects in life, and she specifically mentioned this one. It sounded perfect so I purchased it immediately. Sadly my former student's brother lost his battle a few weeks ago so I gave the book a quick read to make sure it was what I was looking for. Indeed it was. I mailed it out yesterday, hoping that it will give her even the tiniest bit of comfort or hope in this tough time.

Here is what  am currently reading (click on the title to learn more about the book):
By Natalie Lloyd
Almost done with this one and will be writing a full review of it some time this week. Stay tuned!

By Erin Entrada Kelly
Now that I am almost done with The Problim Children, I may have to take this one home to read. It's currently my independent reading book at school, which means I only get about 5-10 minutes to read it every day before I start my reading conferences. For me, this usually means that I have a hard time getting into the book because I read it in such small snippets. That is usually ok when the book is on the shorter side, but this one is a bit lengthy. I am enjoying the story so far and would hate to be put off it simply because it takes me so long to finish. 
It's decided then, time for it to become my home book!

No comments:

Post a Comment