Thursday, August 24, 2017

Review of The List by Patricia Forde

The List
By Patricia Forde
Published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
August 1, 2017
Digital Copy Provided by NetGalley

Goodreads Summary:

In the city of Ark, speech is constrained to five hundred sanctioned words. Speak outside the approved lexicon and face banishment. The exceptions are the Wordsmith and his apprentice Letta, the keepers and archivists of all language in their post-apocalyptic, neo-medieval world. 
On the death of her master, Letta is suddenly promoted to Wordsmith, charged with collecting and saving words. But when she uncovers a sinister plan to suppress language and rob Ark’s citizens of their power of speech, she realizes that it’s up to her to save not only words, but culture itself.

My Thoughts:
I'm normally not one for apocalypse and end of the world type books as they completely stress me out! Though I have to say that I was intrigued by what people have been saying about this one, so I decided to give it a try. As I mentioned in my #IMWAYR post this past Monday, this story immediately sucked me in! I was intrigued by the idea of words being the perceived threat to this post apocalyptic world, and even though I don't like them, I have read a few books like this, as well as seen a few movies on the same topic, but never have words been the "bad guy". It was a very interesting and intriguing story, getting a glimpse of what life might be like without freedom of speech. I also liked the main character Letta. She is young, but strong and courageous, and willing to do what she must in order to do what she knows is right. I always enjoy reading books with strong female main characters! There are a few twists woven throughout the story, and the end kept me glued to my kindle! 
Definitely put it on your to read lists! As there is some violence, I would recommend this book for 5th grade and up.

See What Others Have to Say:

No comments:

Post a Comment