Monday, August 21, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading, August 21, 2017


A great meme hosted by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers! A place for people to talk about the books they have recently read and are currently reading. A great place to find books to add to your "must read" list!

Here is what I have recently read (click on the title to learn more about the book):

By Bridget Hodder
I had a hard time getting into this one, but once I did I enjoyed it. During some point in the school year I usually do a cinderella story comparison. This would be a good title to add to my list of unusual Cinderella stories. I like that it had a bit of a twist on the idea of the prince saving the helpless maiden. Yes the prince is a very strong character, but Cinderella seems to be more of his equal in this story. 

By Tamara Bundy
I had been hearing a lot about this book and was excited to finally get it from the library! This is a very timely book about what life was like in the south in the 1960's. I enjoyed it because it allows the reader to really understand what it was like for Miss Millie, an elderly black woman, growing up in the south around this time. I also like it because it deals with an elderly grandmother who is suffering from what appears to be Alzheimer's, as well as a parent who is no longer in the picture. What's great is that Tamara Bundy deals with all of these issues in a way that is still appropriate for my 4th graders. This one will definitely be going in my classroom library!

Here is what I am currently reading (click on the title to learn more about the book):
By Patricia Forde
Recently got this one from NetGalley and started it yesterday. I was immediately sucked into this story of a post apocalyptical world where the only words that you are allowed to use are the 500 words that are part of The List. I am intrigued by the plot, as well as by the main character Letta, as she seems to be a very courageous young girl. I imagine that I will have this book finished in the next day or two!


4 comments:

  1. Walking with Miss Millie sounds like a wonderful way for young readers to explore and experience the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Would also be great as a read aloud!

      Delete
  2. Have you thought about applying to be a Cybils judge? You do seem to read a lot of middle grade fiction! http://www.cybils.com/2017/08/the-2017-cybils-call-for-judges-we-need-you.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't, but thank you for bringing it to my attention! I will definitely check it out!

      Delete