Monday, July 15, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? July 15, 2019

It sure has been awhile since my last post, but I am back at it! Because I plan on reading some amazing books this summer, my plan is to get back on my blog and try to post every week or so! Hope you enjoy!


A great meme hosted by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers. A place for people to talk about books they have recently read and are currently reading. Also a great place to find books to add to your "must read" list.

Here is what I have recently read (click on the title to learn more about the book):
By Lindsey Stoddard
Had this one sitting on my shelf for a while before I finally cracked it open. I am so happy that I finally picked it up because I loved it! Such a moving story with a number of different "windows" for both me and my students to look through.

By Pablo Cartaya
I enjoyed Cartaya's first book, The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora, so I was happy to see what I thought of his second book. I enjoyed meeting Marcus as much as I enjoyed spending time with Arturo! Looking forward to Cartaya's next book, Each Tiny Spark, which comes out next month.

By Piper Kerman
I listened to this one on audible and really enjoyed it! It was a nice change from the MG books that I normally read (and love!). Now I will have to give the Netflix series a try!

By Philip Pullman
I still have vivid memories of reading the His Dark Materials trilogy in college. It was one of those series that sucked me right in and basically took over my life until I finished it!
I was excited to see this new graphic novel version, both because I wanted to read it, and also in hoping that it would be appropriate for my 4th grade classroom. I really enjoyed this version, but unfortunately I think it's too violent for my classroom.

By Kayla Miller
Both my students and I really enjoyed Miller's first book about main character Olive, Click. I was happy to rejoin Olive to see what she was up to over the summer. Miller did it again, with another great story about friendship and being yourself! 
Look for the third book in this series, Act, out next May!

By Chad Morris and Shelly Brown
Based on a true story, this is a story about what to do when life throws you a scary and unexpected curve ball.

By Kevin Henkes
A fairly short, but powerful, story by one of my favorite authors!

Here is what I am currently reading (click on the title to learn more about the book):
By Jessica Townsend
I loved listening to the audiobook of the first book in this series, Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow! I just started the audible version of Wundersmith and am already happy to be back with Morrigan! I would definitely recommend the audiobook version, Gemma Whelan is great!

By Tara Westover
I finally got my hands on a copy of Educated from my local library, after being on the wait list for what felt like forever! I don't normally read "adult" books, but so far this book is everything that everyone has been saying it is! Go get yourself a copy!

12 comments:

  1. Yes, I loved Educated, but tough to read about the family. I liked Sweeping Up The Heart, too, shared it today. Thanks for telling about the new graphic Golden Compass. I didn't know it was out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Educated on my #MustReadin2019 list and I think I'm now around #13 on the waiting list -- hope I'll get it before the end of the year! And OH MY GOODNESS, I always get excited to find another reader who deeply appreciates Nevermoor and Wundersmith. I had to buy a home copy of each one when they came out. And Hollowpox can't come out fast enough. I understand it'll be released in Australia a month before the states, so I may have to call in a favor from one of my Aussie friends. LOL I will have to check out Right as Rain, again, just as soon as things slow down. I had it, but had to return it before I got a chance to read. Just too much on my plate, this summer. Have a wonderful reading week, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finding the Nevermoor series was a wonderful surprise! Definitely check out Right as Rain when you can find the time!
      Thanks Shaye!

      Delete
  3. Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish is on my list. I also loved Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish. Someone gave me Philip Pullman's Golden Compass many years ago when I was complaining about Harry Potter. I devoured the trilogy and never looked back. (I haven't red another Harry Potter book either) Have you read the prequel, La Belle Sauvage? It's very good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have La Belle Sauvage on my shelf, but haven't started it yet...it's on my summer list! :)
      Thanks Cheriee!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Marcus Vega and the first Wundersmith as well. I have an ARC of Each Tiny Spark coming as well and am looking forward to it. I need to check out Click and Sweeping Up the Heart soon as well. Thanks for the shares!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great reading list. I have Educated and the Morrigan Crow book on my TBR list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to get my hands on Educated as well - I feel that it would be a perfect fit for our #WomenReadWomen2019 reading theme. I've seen the graphic novel version of The Golden Compass in our library as well. I have to borrow it again for my teenage daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think Educated would be a perfect fit as well!
      Enjoy!

      Delete